Summary of role: Making, ordering, fitting, maintenance, repair, packing, cleaning and storage of costumes
Place of Work: Hanover Street, Keighley and on board ships when required
Reporting to: Wardrobe Manager
Working Hours: 40 hours per week (generally office hours 9.00 – 5.30) but will be required to be flexible and to work additional unsocial hours when necessary.
We are looking for an experienced costume assistant to join our busy costume department and ideally with previous experience in dealing with resourcing arrangements for shows, tours, theatres or ships.
- Knowledge of fabrics and fabric care essential.
- Good sewing skills, ability to measure artistes, fit and alter costumes.
- You must be experienced in all types of alterations on all types of garments and an extensive range of materials as this role involves tasks from minor alterations to intricate and delicate beading and embellishment.
- Experience of managing departmental budgets.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Some computer experience, although specific training will be given.
Key tasks and responsibilities:
- Liaise with the Wardrobe Manager and Head Of Production regarding costume requirements.
- Purchase of costumes/accessories and processing of invoices.
- Ensuring costumes are ready for fittings and performances.
- Work as part of a team to oversee the production and delivery of costumes to specified deadlines.
- Packing and preparing costumes for transportation – labelling and producing packing lists.
- Attend dress-runs and make notes as required.
- Checking costumes back into storage (labelling, photographing).
- Responsibility for the storage, cleaning, pressing and repair of costumes.
- Willingness to travel to sites around the UK and overseas ships.
- Performing other duties which may be appropriate to the position.
Please submit your CV and cover letter by email prefered to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Katie Pickles on 01756 796176.